Having fun is essential to family cohesiveness and development. An easy way to achieve this goal is to set aside one night a week with your family to just PLAY! Playing together is an essential attribute of a healthy family and serves as “glue” that keeps the family connected.
How to get started?
F – Form Family Fun as a PRIORITY!
- Schedule a family meeting to express the significance and purpose
- Gain everyone’s commitment
- Decide on a day/time conducive to everyone’s calendar
- Establish ground rules
- Place a note on the family calendar or otherwise post the reminder or mention it throughout the week so everyone will remember
U – Uncover new ways to be together and enjoy it!
- Be creative
- Come up with ideas to make each event memorable and enjoyable
- Choose activities everyone can participate or will enjoy
N – Now make it happen!
- Establish a leader for each week
- Prepare in advance
- Get everyone involved as much as possible (if not that night, the next time)
- Ensure everyone stays involved